I usually don’t really get into New Year’s resolutions, but this year I have made one: to be consistent. It may sound general, but really at its core it is very specific to what I need to change about myself. I am not always a consistent person. About 90% of my family and closest friends live far away, and despite promises to stay in touch better I still fail to make much-needed phone calls even when I have the time. I also fail to update my blog, which could potentially be a great way to keep everyone updated on life. I love running and working out and get really into it at times, but when life gets busy I lose motivation and have all kinds of excuses. Same goes for eating healthy. At work I want to be a reliable, honest, helpful, hard-working nurse – consistent to my utmost ability. I want to consistently care for my patients as if each of them was Jesus himself. I am definitely consistent these days in going to church and in my private prayer and study time, but when it comes to serving I have been slacking off. My work schedule has kept me from being able to lead the youth small group for the past couple of months, but I still don’t go to the Wednesday night service even though I am usually able to. (Though I think the root of this is that youth ministry is not really my calling – I love the girls and think the youth group at our church is amazing, but the main reason I got into it was that Matt does it.) I need to find a place to serve and stick to it. And Matt and I need to find a small group closer to home and stick to it. A closer group will hopefully mean that we can make friends that live close to us, friends that we can spend time with and share life with. Achieving these basic goals in a way that allows me to honor the Lord with my life will require me to be a consistent person. I thank God that he is patient with me when I need it so much and that he loves me in spite of my shortcomings.
Here are some of the highlights of 2009, probably (definitely) the most eventful year of my life:
- Welcomed my niece Leah in February, the first child from my sister Keri
- Visited Keri and fam in Chicago several times
- Finished nursing school and graduated with my Bachelor’s degree
- Moved from Orlando to Tampa
- Got MARRIED in May!
- Welcomed nephew Elijah in June, the fifth child from my sister Marissa
- Helped bro-in-law Josh and fam move from Birmingham to Atlanta
- Visited Riss and fam in Virginia (gorgeous!)
- Visited my mom and my sis Shelly and her fam in central FL many times
- Bought our HOUSE!
- Went to Minneapolis for 1st annual reunion with my best friends from college (Jess, Rachel, Carli, Jenny)
- Got my first nursing JOB!
- Went to the So You Think You Can Dance tour show with Carli (had to throw it in here J)
- Turned 24 and had an amazing bday Fiesta thanks to my fam and Krystil
- Welcomed Kaley into the world – the first child of my lifelong best friend Krystil!
- Went to Virginia for Thanksgiving with all my sisters’ fams and mom – best Thanksgiving gathering yet of my adult life
- Celebrated Rachel’s bday in style at a resort near Disney
- Had a wonderful Christmas with in-laws for half the day, then at dad’s the other half
- Visits from all sisters and their fams at Christmas/New Year time
Can 2009 ever be outdone? Probably not, but here are some things we are looking forward to in 2010:
- The arrival of yet another niece in April, which will be sis Shelly’s fourth!
- Finishing orientation at work and finally being on my own (scary but exciting)
- Family reunion with the Elliotts/Weavers/etc in NC
- Summer vacation with just the two of us
- Celebrating our first wedding anniversary!
- Possibly going to Portland with Shelly for a friend’s wedding
- 2nd annual college friends reunion for Labor Day weekend
- Holidays with friends and family
So, I have moved to wordpress, changed the look and style of the blog, and changed my attitude and outlook. Now we will see where this goes… 🙂